Thursday, June 14, 2007

Exploring Search Engines

I was looking forward to this part of the lesson, a chance to explore the nuances of different search engines. I am familiar with the Google Search Engine, but stray from it very little. I navigated three of them: Yahoo, Mooter, and Wink.
Yahoo was similar to Google in its results. It gave links to: news, entertainment, and facts. The homepage reminds me of the American Online Homepage. It has your mail, maps, sports, news, radio, weather and many other opportunities at your fingertips.
Mooter Search Engine was also pretty cool. Mooter combines information in clusters. If you search for a rock star your results provide quick links to music, video, history, lyrics, news, people, movies, eBay... you name it.
Wink however is horrible... Wink is a Free People Search. Real persons can create their own profiles and share personal info. The way to find a person requires: first and last names, or user name, city, state, zip code or province. This social search engine is small and poorly put together with limited information. I didn't like it.
I did enjoy learning about different search engines. I am glad to share my opinions about Yahoo, Mooter and Wink.

No comments: