Wednesday, June 13, 2007

LIBRARY 2.0

I read the perspectives from two articles: Away from Icebergs and Into a New World of Librarianship. I was surprised to find out that circulation of library materials has dropped 55% in the the last 12 years. I agree the library no longer has a monopoly on information for it users.

Customers use the web more for information. People want to access information at work, play, home, school and even during the commute. Libraries will have to digitize collections of journals, books, photos etc.

I think that is great. It will require lots of data entry. I'm glad we can get a question answered, within a matter of moments from the web. But, I'll always like the printed format. Give me a dusty ole' book!

1 comment:

Bobbi Newman said...

I'm with you. Despite all the talk that has been going on for years about electronic books etc, I think most patrons will still prefer a book. Is it easier to look up the number and address for a corporation you want to write a letter to? Yes, if you have a computer and internet access at home, but many still don't.